Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rhubarb Crumb Coffee Cake


This was Ryan’s first father’s day so I had grand expectations of rising early (umm, not that I have a choice) and whipping up a fantastic coffee cake that would be warm when he and Peter woke up. Xavier chose that morning to sleep in so instead we had coffee cake for dessert after my mom’s egg, cheese, bacon and buttered toast breakfast. Talk about indulgent.

I had always wondered what that delicious brown sugar crumble on top of good coffee cakes was made of? Butter. And why coffee cake was always so moist? Butter and sour cream. And how do you get really tart rhubarb to be edible? Sugar.

I followed this recipe almost exactly but I just mixed the cake all at once instead of following the directions of adding ingredients bit by bit. Like I said, Xavier had slept in. I also don’t think you need all that crumble on top so next time I would probably even half it. There is always the rest of the day to get your fill of butter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/dining/061arex.html

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is looking great! I'm so impressed that you have a kid, work full time, cook and blog. You're pretty much a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've officially given up on my effort to cut sugar out of my diet. Now if only I could muster up the energy to make this coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete