Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Friday, July 27, 2012

Wild Rice Salad with Cherries

Northern Michigan is my favorite place on earth. There isn’t even a close second. I grew up a few minutes from the beach north of Boston so people thought I was nuts to leave in the summer for the Great Lakes.  How wrong they are!

One of the many wonderful things about this part of the country is that it’s where cherries are grown.  When ‘up north,’ we eat cherries everyday. Cherry pie for breakfast signals summer for me.

When I got back to NYC, I was homesick for spicy Vernors, 10 pm sunsets and cherries. I couldn’t do 
much about the first two but luckily (for a small fortune) it’s cherry season in NYC too.

I made Heidi Swanson’s wild rice salad with cherries and it was a hit. It’s no cherry pie but that’s a breakfast thing anyways.

Combine 3 1/2 cups of cooked wild rice, a few handfuls of greens like spinach or arugula and 2/3 cup toasted walnuts. Make  a cherry vinaigrette by combining ½ cup of cherries, ½ cup olive oil and ¼ cup of white wine vinegar. Blend until smooth and season with salt. Dress the salad (you’ll have leftovers) and then toss in one cup of pitted fresh cherries and top with some crumbled goat cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment