Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Friday, August 5, 2011

Use those Summer Tomatoes!


I’m infamous in my house for eating food that might be past its prime. Just this morning I heated up some shady looking milk for my coffee knowing that if it’s really bad, it will curdle when warm. It didn’t curdle and I enjoyed my somewhat sour cup of coffee with no obvious consequences.

I draw the line at bad tomatoes though. We have all had a mealy, nasty tomato on a deli sandwich before. Gross.

However, it’s summer so tomatoes are great even at your sketchiest deli. You don’t have to eat them raw to take advantage of their rich summer flavor. Last night I made roasted tomato soup based on a Sprouted Kitchen recipe. Soup, crusty bread and cold beer make a great summer meal.

1) Cut 2.5 lbs of tomatoes and one onion into wedges and put on rimmed baking sheet. Poke out some of the gooey seeds and stick 6-8 garlic gloves into the holes that are left in the tomatoes. Drizzle generously with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2) Roast at 350 degrees for close to an hour or until the tomatoes look like they have broken down enough to be easily pureed.
3) Add to 3 cups of broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool a bit and then puree. Add a bit of cream at the end to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
4) Serve with basil and Parmesan cheese.


http://sproutedkitchen.com/?p=3186

1 comment:

  1. We just had smitten kitchen's tomato corn pie tonight at my sister's. Holy YUM!! I heart summer tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete