Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Monday, September 23, 2013

Callaloo

I stopped by our community farm stand on the way back from the park this weekend. I told Xavier he could pick out anything he wanted. This is a dangerous move in Whole Foods but a safe bet at a stand that sells cheap kale and okra. Xavier opted for a huge, bushy bunch of greens that I didn't recognize. It turns out it was callaloo and they are delicious!


Callaloo is the name of the leaves but also of a popular Caribbean stew that I want to try when I have more than 45 seconds to cook dinner. This weekend, however, since I was alone with the kids I simply sauteed the greens in some oil and garlic. They are sturdier than spinach but don't have the bitterness or toughness of kale. I gobbled them up. Xavier did not touch them. Macaroni and cheese beats callaloo every time apparently.


No comments:

Post a Comment