Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Lamb Stir-Fry with Pomegranate and Yogurt

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Chickpeas with Pumpkin, Lemongrass and Cilantro


Ever since Annecy was born, I cheat more on my restricted diet. I feel a lot less guilty doing damage to my own thyroid than hers! To prepare for last weekend’s trip to San Francisco however, I decided to make a healthy vegan dish that would justify all my California cheating. Think Anchor Steam beer, giant burritos, chili and cheese tamales, dim sum, pastries from La Boulangerie and wedding cake.

Nigel Slater’s cookbook Tender had this interesting looking recipe that caught my attention since it seemed like a good way to get through my dried chickpeas, frozen lemongrass and under-used mustard seeds.


It is a fair amount of work but it results in hearty, complex curry that didn’t leave me craving the addition of chicken or shrimp. I even packed some to go for the plane and it was good cold. Yes…I was the weirdo on the plane eating vegan curry, pumping in my seat and watching Gael Garcia Bernal. (Check out his most recent flic “No” about Pinochet!) Anyways, the irony of this pre-trip healthy eating was that I was flying to northern California. Had I wanted to, I could have had gluten-free, vegan  beer, Mexican food, and dessert. This is the land of Berkley after all. But what fun would that be?!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment